WATER SEPARATING FUEL FILTER KIT 35-8071 72A4 INSTALLATION
IMPORTANT: DO NOT mount filter in a place where filter will be in direct sunlight.
MCM 4.3L14.3 LX With Electric Fuel Pump; DO NOT use this filter kit. The electric fuel pump and factory installed water separating fuel filter have been carefully designed to function properly together. It is not necessary or recommended to install additional fuel filters and/or water separating fuel filters on this engine. The installation of additional filters may cause:
· Fuel Vapor Locking
· Difficult Warm-Starting
· Piston Detonation Due to Lean Fuel Mixture · Poor Drive-ability
NOTE: On outboard installation, install filter into fuel line between fuel tank and primer bulb. Mount fuel filter in a vertical position along fuel line at a suitable location (see "Note'', preceding) which provides adequate support and ease in removal and installation of filter element.
1. Read all instructions, carefully.
2. Remove (and discard) plastic cap plugs from fuel inlet and outlet holes of fuel filter adapter.
Be careful when cutting fuel line and installing to fuel filter; gasoline is extremely flammable and highly explosive under certain conditions. DO NOT smoke or allow open flames in the area. Use care so that fuel is not spilled.
3. Install according to appropriate instructions: ( Outboard Engines ) or ( Inboard Engines )
Inside diameter of brass hose fittings, installed in Step 3-a (1), must not be smaller than inside diameter of fuel line.
On Outboard Engines:
(1) Use 2 brass barbed hose fittings (thread size 1/4"-18; obtain from a local source) with same inside diameter as fuel line.
(2) Coat fuel line inlet and outlet fittings threads with Loctite pipe sealant with Teflon.
DO NOT use Teflon tape.
(3) To prevent cracking the casting and/or fuel leaks, turn the fittings in by hand until finger tight, then tighten to 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 turns with wrench. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN.
(4) Place a drain pan under fuel filter to catch any spilled fuel, then cut fuel line at a point approximately centered between hose fittings.
(5) Slip a hose clamp (obtain from a local source) over each fuel line.
(6) Install fuel line (from fuel tank) on inlet hose fitting and fuel line (from engine) on outlet hose fitting. Secure fuel line to fittings with hose clamps.
On Stern Drive and Inboard Engines:
(1) Select appropriate fuel line fittings (thread size 1/4"-18; obtain locally) in accordance with the type of fuel line installed.
(2) Place a drain pan under fuel filter to catch any spilled fuel, then cut fuel line at a point approximately in the center of fuel filter adapter. In most cases, it will be necessary to cut a small piece of fuel line off each end of cut fuel line to keep line from bending when connected to fuel filter adapter.
(3) Install both cut ends of fuel line to water separating fuel filter, using appropriate fittings and installation procedure in accordance with type of fuel line being used. Coat fuel line inlet and outlet fittings threads with Loctite pipe sealant with Teflon.
(4) To prevent cracking the casting and/or fuel leaks, turn the fittings in by hand until finger tight, then tighten to 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 turns with wrench. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. Be sure that fuel line from tank is connected to inlet side and fuel line from engine is connected to outlet side of fuel filter adapter. Make sure that fuel line is installed free of stress; no sharp bends and firmly secured to prevent vibration and/or chafing.
5. Run engine and check for fuel leak.
Be careful when changing fuel filler element; gasoline is extremely flammable and highly explosive under certain conditions. Always stop the engine and do not smoke or allow open flames in the area while changing fuel filter element.
1. Replace filter element once-a-year, or sooner if required (noticeable loss of RPM, etc).
IMPORTANT: Only use white filter element on outboards.
2. Replace filter element as follows:
a. Coat sealing ring with engine oil and thread filter on adapter.
b. Tighten securely by hand.
c. Run engine and check for leaks.
3. Periodically check fittings and filter element for leaks.